A Night in Pondicherry


That night I was lying on a hammock in the balcony swinging to the rhythm of chirping crickets.
The sky had no stars. 
The air was humid, my body was all sweaty.
The guest house faced an empty plot with trees on the other side.
My colleagues were in the other room talking, I could only hear murmurs. 
The house was lit with glimmering lampshades and beautiful string light on the table. 
A long mirror on the wall, windows on either side, and empty spaces. 
Just like the place we were at, Pondicherry - serene and beautiful.
That night we were miles away from home. 
Home - I didn't really miss home. Although I've been here before, each time it was different. This time, it felt like I didn't wanna leave. I wished if I could settle in a place for a while and move to another. Be a nomad and own nothing.
I wondered how vulnerable my thoughts could be at nights like these, at a different place, in a different town. Wishing I'd stayed for a bit longer but realizing it was my last night here.

But not every night end this way, 
That night we ate some good food. Took a bottle of beer up to the terrace, laid two mats on the floor, and watched the sky. We spoke about life and everything that never really mattered. That night I sat facing the sky humming a Christmas carol, and I suddenly saw a north star shining. The sky indeed had stars, I just didn't see it earlier.

Pondicherry
September'18

Comments

Popular Posts